Monday, March 20, 2006

George goes South...

South Sydney football club members voted on sunday afternoon to accept a $3 million bid to let Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court take over 75% of the management of the club.

And George Piggins promptly said that he was done with the club. "I'm finished, I'm at the stage of my life where I have other interests, I would rather look after them...I'll be watching on TV. You'll never see me at a football game again. The football club as it stands now doesn't represent what I represent so I'll move on." George, as great a club man as he was, cant bring himself to avert his eyes from what was a glorious past for the club. Keep looking that way George, and you may not need to look forward at all.

South Sydney represented a distinctly working class population since their inception. Redfern Oval still stands as a symbol to the faithful as a spiritual home. Souths management know they can never go back there full-time because clubs can no longer survive on sweat and cheers. Money, sponsors, managers and players are what keeps modern clubs in action. Here's hoping that Souths now have managers capable of generating income, to keep players and build a team that is recognisable from season to season.

Go the Bunnies!

Insert tagline here...

No comments: